I love talking to my family. I really appreciate that Ilana sees a passion to learn and gave me a bunch of authors and books to read. I’m starting with Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. I’m only 5% into it, according to my Kindle, and Butler paints quite the dystopia: a harrowing juxtaposition of walled-up neighborhoods who can’t afford water, whose children make themselves dirty so as to not get bullied, and extravagant missions to Mars underwritten by the “Department of Astronautics.” The 15 year-old protagonist has quite a resolute understanding of a higher being that is really interesting. As “the literal truth,” she writes:
God is Power—
Infinite,
Irresistible,
Inexorable,
Indifferent.
And yet, God is Pliable—
Trickster,
Teacher,
Chaos,
Clay.
God Exists to be shaped.
God is Change.
Imma sit with that for a little
bit. “Teacher, Trickster, Chaos, Clay.”
The shaped and the shapers.
No comments:
Post a Comment