Tuesday, May 1, 2018

This one is about my trip to SE Asia...



Ooooofah. Thailand -> Cambodia -> Indonesia -> Thailand -> 13 hour layover in Moscow. I’m so glad Caroline could come meet me in Southeast Asia. While we definitely spent too much money, we would’ve had to spend much, much more for me to question whether or not it was worth it.

Cambodian culture is fascinating and full of pride. On a morning market tour in Phnom Penh, we met this elderly lady who makes the most delicious noodle salad I’ve ever had. Also, please put noodles in all of my salads moving forward thankyousomuch. While the most interesting detail of this experience should’ve been how to recreate such a salad (JUST PUT NOODLES IN EVERYTHING but also make spring rolls and an amazing sauce, etc.), the idea that once sold out only a few hours after opening, the woman packed up and went home to spend time with her family. These non-touristy Cambodian food stands (I say this because as our tour guide pointed out, we were the only white people in the entire market) choose breakfast, lunch, or dinner and satisfied with the income of selling out one meal, chose home and family time over earning extra profit.

I’m realizing there’s a peacefulness to be enjoyed when witnessing the embodiment of “being content with one’s lot.”

I’d really love to work towards that. Pure capitalism seems to run counter to that idea. Maybe that’s why I like Bernie so much, though the dude has some work to do.

Moving from an apartment that had access within 3.5 minutes to a wonderful poke place to hoping that no one else sits atop my usual sunset rock structure while I’m there to indulge in solitude (possibly to sing a little bit) is a stark contrast.

The traditionally Than indulgences have mostly subsided. I guess most of them had to do with food. I still lament moving away from my apartment in Chicago from which I could walk three blocks to the greatest grocery store ever erected, Mariano’s. If you live in Chicago, please say hi to Mariano’s for me.

When I really think about it further, it’s all about comfort and vulnerability. I’m proud of myself for moving away from Chicago and starting this two-year whirlwind of whatthefuck that landed me in this place. I moved for two reasons: 1) I wanted to challenge myself because of how comfortable I was in Chicago, and 2) LA had always been a pipe dream.

I loved the idea of pushing myself to be uncomfortable, but I hated how uncomfortable being uncomfortable made me.

I hastily chose to join a program and move to another country because I knew I wouldn’t be alone; there’d be others like me who wanted to take a year to do something different to escape life in the US. I’ve felt all the emotions here. I need to use this word doc (I haven’t decided if I’ll put it online yet) as a place to share thoughts and not procrastinate from forwarding my professional development and prospects upon my return in a few months. A FEW MONTHS!

I finished Parable of the Sower (and Freakonomics) over this last vacation. If you haven’t, read both. They’re unrelated but equally captivating. A couple days ago, I started the sequel of Parable, Parable of the Talents. IN THE FIRST 5% OF THE BOOK (WHICH WAS PUBLISHED IN 1998 AND THIS IS SO CRAZY), the narrator describes the campaign slogans of a Christianity-extremist, right-wing presidential candidate AND GUESS WHAT HIS RALLYING CALL WAS (AGAIN, THIS BOOK WAS PUBLISHED IN 1998!)! “Make America great again.” I shit you not. Octavia Butler is an oracle. Also, the religion her first protagonist “discovers:” God is Change; is a pretty remarkable concept. The shaped and the shaper.

Anyway, Octavia Butler wrote very, very, very well.

1 comment:

This one is about Estonia and Latvia…

While living in Prague a few years ago (*cough 6.5, accept that you’re getting old, Than*), I had the random idea to travel to Estonia...