Tuesday, May 1, 2018

This one is about my introductory thoughts on this blog...


I’d been talking about writing a blog for a while now, specifically one about clouds. It’d been a joke of sorts. I like jokes, so I let the idea live in that space. I had no real push to actually sit down and write, which is terribly ironic seeing as how I bought myself a wooden velociraptor model to occupy my mind for a few days (I started but it’s resting on the table incomplete).

The past few nights I’d been staying up too late procrastinating, looking at the social medias, Facebook most of all, which is interesting because I don’t actually enjoy Facebook anymore. Don’t worry, when I say interesting, I don’t actually mean it.

I had a thought: Stop procrastinating and write. So here I am. I have a lot of thoughts about my current position in life, about where I am physically, where I am with regards to health and my body, and too many (or maybe not enough, really) about my next move when I’m back in the states. I think about my jealousies and my stubbornness.

This is a weird space for me. My desire to learn has never been stronger than it is now. I’m all too quickly realizing how much I don’t know, how much knowledge is out there that I could know. And I’m trying not to focus on (and for an over-thinker, doing pretty well) the learning opportunities I missed or completely wasted (what’s a communications degree?) and seek out the ones I want.

I read my first book by a Palestinian author – in fact, it was the first piece of Palestinian media I’d ever really consumed – and I was shaken to my core. I read my first book that really dealt with a piece of history in the US, about the man who shaped the CIA and his absurdly despicable abuses of power. I finally sat down and read Between The World And Me. I’m trying to read a lot. Also, I now officially have my first bucket list item: To read the work of someone from every country on Earth. (Hit me up with recommendations, p&ty!)

Forgive me for being preachy but in today’s world, watching or even reading the news isn’t nearly enough because of it’s lack of reliability. And having best friends as roommates (or at least one thought he was) for multiple years from the other side of the political spectrum forced each of us to seek out the source and dissect everything for bias. Doing this probably pushed me even further left because of how crystal clear the murkiness/ shadiness of today’s political stage is on a global level. Btb, that wasn’t to say what is murky to others is clear to me, but rather, it’s clear that there’s an awful lot of awfulness. And it certainly spans the left and right alike.

I live in a country that values the lives of some vastly more than others’ both in popular opinion and in law. I know I immediately have to defend that sentence up because of how many people and close friends have their identities wrapped up in the idea of the country as a successful state. The first reaction I usually get is “Well, the US isn’t much better.” … cool, I agree. My problem lies in the idea that people are jailed indeterminably for exercising what should be “first amendment rights” because this is allegedly a “democracy,” which is also a laugher. But also, I hate that a disgusting right-wing government commits atrocities against humanity in the name of my religion. Colonization is not Judaism. Apartheid is not Judaism. Y’all hear the comments made by one of the head rabbis here? The man is a straight up racist and justifies it by bastardizing Jewish text. No thanks.


Random Closing Thoughts:

Y’all ever just sit on the toilet so long your legs fall asleep? That happens too often.

I have to do a better job of being finished with food I like when my body is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This one is about Estonia and Latvia…

While living in Prague a few years ago (*cough 6.5, accept that you’re getting old, Than*), I had the random idea to travel to Estonia...